Chicken and Rice. Such a simple statement and simple request at almost every restaurant but “Oh, it’s so good.” I remember my brother used to only order this when we went out. And it would be a huge serving, that little shrimp would eat it all. I used to be so jealous because I was bigger, older and couldn’t eat even half. Looking back at it, it’s ridiculous that I ever wanted to eat so much at one sitting and was in fact jealous that I couldn’t eat what had to be 3000 calories in one plate. Hell, I don’t even eat 3000 calories in one day now thank the LORD above. Though here lately, I am not actually sure how many calories I am eating, stopped tracking awhile back. Being pregnant I didn’t want to worry about the calories going in. Just wanted to focus on the good things I could eat without being nauseous. Being in the second trimester has helped so much and I am back to craving salads, veggies and cleaner foods. The chicken and rice recipe is a small welcome back to that eating. Though we added cheese and as you know too much cheese is bad for you. Come on too much of anything is a bad thing. Live a little. LOL
The boys have also gotten out of the routine and taste buds of eating clean. They have come to expect and enjoy the treats and junk as much as we have. The hubs on the other hand has kept it in sight. He has continued to work out heavily and eat fairly well. I have kept it in perspective with portions and limits. So I haven’t lost the dream so to speak. Kept it in sight, yes I did. 🙂 Time to rein it in before it gets out of control. We have 1/2 to go for this pregnancy to be over and that is plenty of time to get back on the wagon and get the baby used to the diet i want to have while breast-feeding. That way it’s not a shock to her system. It also will be a good wake up call for the boys to also get used to our clean diet again. And lastly, ME, I have to get used to saying “NO” to the things i crave that are not good for my body, weight or health. If I can get my diet back under control then it will help with postpartum weight loss later. Right?
This recipe only requires one pan and about 30 minutes. My favorite kind of recipe, good, fast and some what healthy.
- Chicken breast 1 lb
- enchilada sauce 1 can (we used the green sauce, but may make my own next time to ensure healthiest option.)
- White rice (long grain)- 1 cup of dry rice
- Rotel or fire roasted diced tomatoes 1 can
- onion optional diced
- green chilis optional 1 can
- minced garlic 2 table spoons
- salt/pepper to taste
- Cheddar cheese sprinkled over top of pan when finished cooking
- Cut thawed chicken in to bite size pieces, set aside.
- Dice onion and place in skillet. Sautee until fragrant and add garlic.
- Add chicken into skillet and brown. Drizzle olive oil over chicken and stir around.
- Once chicken is browned and onions are translucent, push to one side and pour dried rice into the pan.
- Pour in tomatoes/ rotel and enchilada sauce
- Stir all together and bring to boil
- Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover and let melt for a couple of minutes, then serve.
Optional– serve with avocado slices, sour cream or any other topping that hits your fancy. The boys really enjoyed it with some tortilla chips on the side. Whatever your decide, make it yours and let me know how it turns out. To make it more healthy, use less cheese, garden vegetables and use quinoa instead of rice. Hubs has informed me that we are now to add this recipe to our dinner rotation.
Enjoy it and remember portions are your friend. 🙂